Sunday, May 17, 2009

One tired Guanaca

“To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.” 



Hello from the sweet comfort of my bed. Man...I'm exhausted.  Long weekend...you'll get the idea if you read on I suppose....

Thursday night I was stoked to go see this band called the Cocineros. They're from Argentina and are really awesome live (incidentally quite audibly pleasing via computer as well). I've seem them play and discovered them (by chance) at a Brazilian music festival at a place called 9/90 (Nueve Noventa) a so called "art club" with live music. (I really like 9/90). Anyways, last time I saw them they started around 2AM and played till around 5. So my friends and I figured it'd be a similar situation at this place "Tsunami". But no..we took a cab over after getting together at  Maggies and learned they started at 11! aka, supa early for Argentine night life. We missed them. But we did meet some cool people,and watch this other band..which was good although the singer was slightly annoying...After we headed over to this other place with some newfound friends and made it home kinda late (early??) Maggie slept over and we went to class and learned about Israeli/Palestine conflict Yaaaa woo.


The not as good as the cocineros band: 

Some art on a wall outside of Tsunami

Friday night, more anticipation ensued. Saskia's boyfriend Gus works for Fernet (the very Argentine liquor) and there was  a 90's themed event at some club called Trip....a little bit outside my barrio...
While I didn't have much energy to make it out again, I drank lots of mate (which has something similar to caffeine in it, thats me with my mate ) showered (applause please), and realized that I had paid 20   pesos for the entrance already. So Maggie, Emily and I headed over to Gus's house where she's living now...appropriately listened to 90s music and had some Fernet. We show up to the club and ..I don't know why I didn't expect this from Argentine's...were the ONLY ones dressed up. And we looked pretty ridiculous. Also, they played maybe 5 or 6 legitimate 90s songs which was a total letdown.   Appearance is super important here and I have to remember that not everyones like my weird group of friends who like getting dressed up and being, well:

 So while we donned leggings, crazy make up and colors, the swarm of flat-ironed long flowy straight haired, size 2, skinny jeans, fashionable leather boot wearing Argentine girls passed and looked on with curiosity I wanna say..perhaps jealousy RIGHT! haha Anyways, some of our friends went to an "after" where you go (can you guess?) after a club to,thats right, dance some more! I couldn't sustain, my comfy bed called and apparently it did to Maggie too because she stayed the night again (I think its my mattress pad top- so comfortable). The next day we made a delicious salad, this is completely superfluous information but we went to 4 different places for ingredients AND I found ginger and made lime ginger water which was dank. Also watched Pan's Labyrinth without subtitles. Spanish accent is a lot harder to understand for me..
Possibly too excited about our salad?:
heyyy self timer technoologgyyy
Really excited for the 90s night apparently?

Saturday night my landlord took me and my roommates out to a steak dinner. He ordered for us and I'm glad because he knew what to get. A delicious meal, complete with delicious wine and ending deliciously FREE. AND he has a car...its always exciting driving some place. Although cab rides can be quite entertaining so I've experienced here....
After I got home from dinner with my 1027 obispo trejo family, we all parted ways. I went over to Lucas's (VJ homie) house to go out with him and his friends. We went to Dorien Gray, where he works and I ran into some friends, and met some new ones. One of Lucas's friends who also works in dorien told me she knew of this really cool party going on that night and we left dorien for a couple hours to go. I'm so glad I went....It was this house converted into a sort of bar/stage..so there was live music down in its big basement and they put swings in the rooms and there was really awesome art on the walls. It was more my.... for lack of better word "scene?"

After 3 hours of sleep, woke up this morning to go to a friends farm about an hour outside of the city for an Asado. It was beautiful day...we hung out on the farm, relaxed, walked all along the river had a really nice conversation with maggie on our walk about everything from personality traits and cultural barriers, to highschool,  and Argentine class participation. Nelson (who has the farm), Asier, Ekaitz, and Nico killed the pig yesterday and cooked it all day and nothing else matters but I rode a horse!! 
ok I'm tired, heres some pictures from el campo  hoy:


This little piggy went to the....

And its leg went to the....
Yummy fish

2 Basques, 1 Chilean, 2 Argentines and 5 Basque shirts


Note to my friends: this should be the statue on my grave

heyyyy action shot
Lots of love to everyone I love from lovely argentina.

PS Congratulations to Lara, whos graduating...this week I think...I wish I could be there to give you a big hug and share a joose or two.
Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment